Thursday 10 April 2008

Goodbye Violet



This is Violet, one of the first hens we took in from the Battery Hen Welfare Trust 14 months ago. The first pic is from when she first arrived, and shows something of the state these hens can be in, though these three were really quite good looking compared to some. The second pic was taken about a month later!


Last night my husband found her at 7.30, looking very subdued and hardly able to stand, she was obviously setting off on her last journey.


I refused point blank to leave her outside to her fate, and she came in and sat quietly cuddled up on my lap, where she stayed until it was time for her to leave around 8.15.


Goodbye Violet, I hope you enjoyed your time here, and thankyou for being such a character, showing us what glorious creatures hens are, and for all the wonderful eggs.


Safe journey my Lovely.

1 comment:

mrsnesbitt said...

How sad.
It is indeed a sad time, but she was with you as bed time approached.
((((HUGS))))